HAIKU, HAWAII — A single asset exchange agreement filing with the Commission involving radio station owners Adam and Victor Michael and Educational Media Foundation (EMF) will see the swap of three FMs and a translator serving Hawaii’s Valley Isle, two FM translators in Arizona, and three FM translators in Colorado.
When all is done, the Michaels will have a big facility for a Hot AC in Maui, while the KLove Christian AC format lives on at a new home.
The Michaels will also have a presence in the Valley of the Sun.
In a 44-page agreement submitted to the FCC on Thursday (3/23), the following transaction was consummated:
- EMF will be parting ways with Class C2 KMKV-FM 102.9 in Paia, Maui, Hawaii. The facility presently has a Construction Permit for a shift to 102.1 MHz from atop Haleakala, giving it practically full coverage of Maui; the island is notorious for signal pockets caused by hills and valleys in various locales.
- EMF is also saying goodbye to K243BP, at 96.5 MHz in Casa Grande, Ariz., located between Phoenix and Tucson. More notably for Phoenix radio broadcasters, EMF is also trading away K243BN, another facility at 96.5 MHz licensed to Laveen, Ariz., that broadcasts from a peak just west of Paradise Valley.
Those stations are being dealt to Michaels’ four broadcast properties: Future Modulation Broadcasting, Kona Coast Radio, Mountain Community Translators, and Cedar Cove Broadcasting.
EMF will be receiving the following stations:
- From Future, Class C0 KQMY-FM 100.7 in Kihei, Maui, Hawaii. Its tower is on the same facility as the Construction Permit for KMKV.
- From Kona, Class C1 KKHI-FM 95.9, the only radio station with a tower on the island of Lanai, across from Maui’s West Shore resorts including Lahaina. It is licensed to Kaunakakai, on neighboring Molokai.
EMF confirms that KKHI and KQMY will jointly serve as “KLove” affiliates.
- Mountain is dealing to EMF a Kailua-based translator already used by KMKV — K233DC, at 94.5 MHz in the city of Kailua. This is used to extend “KLove” to the Big Island market of Kailua-Kona.
- In Colorado, Mountain is giving EMF translators K243AM in Colorado Springs and K269EQ in Loveland. At the same time, Cedar is dealing to EMF K205FV in Plainview, Colo.
There was no broker involved in this deal.
David Oxenford of Wilkinson Barker Knauer served as the legal representative for EMF, led by CEO Mike Novak.