Only hours after Warner Bros. and CBS announced 5/13 Ashton Kutcher was joining top-rated TV comedy “Two and A Half Men” Charlie Sheen claimed in a statement the show would flop without him: “Kutcher is a sweetheart and a brilliant comedic performer…Oh wait, so am I!…Enjoy the show America. Enjoy seeing a 2.0 in the demo [Adults 18-49] every Monday, WB.”
Kutcher, 33, is joining the cast for the upcoming ninth season of the money-spinning show that is scheduled for broadcast in the fall. Jon Cryer, the other male lead on the sitcom, said he was “jazzed” about the show returning and the addition of Kutcher.
On 5/13, Cryer also expressed his “enormous gratitude to Charlie Sheen” and said he would miss him…I’m also looking forward to this new beginning. Ashton is an extraordinarily talented guy and his presence will be an asset to our show.”
Kutcher is still not expected to be a direct replacement for Sheen’s womanizing character.
“I can’t replace Charlie Sheen but I’m going to work my ass off to entertain the hell out of people!” Kutcher said in a statement.
Sheen was fired in March after weeks of erratic behavior and for publicly insulting producers. Production on the show was shut down in February and March and the show’s future was in doubt after producers made clear that Sheen had no chance of returning.
CBS presents its 2011-12 upfront presentation to advertisers in NYC on 5/18.
British actor Hugh Grant was reported earlier this week to have been considered for the show, but pulled out of talks citing “creative differences.” Actors John Stamos, “Entourage” star Jeremy Piven, and Rob Lowe had also been rumored as possible replacements.