OTA looks east with Big Apple Class A acquisition
Todd Lawyer and William Tolpegin are leaders of OTA Broadcasting, which last year acquired two stations in the Seattle-Tacoma DMA and one in the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose CA DMA. Now they have a deal that will place them in Manhattan in the biggest DMA in America.
The station is WEBR-CD. It’s being sold by K Licensee Inc., headed by Young Dae Kwon.
The buyers will pay $6.6M cash to gain entrée into the heart of New York City.
OTA’s other acquisitions have all been full-power stations. It acquired KTLN Novato CA from Christiain Communications of Chicagoland for $8M in a deal filed 6/7/11. Next came the $3.45M acquisition of KFFV Seattle from North Pacific International Television on 7/11/11. The third deal was for KVOS Bellingham from Newport Television for $2.9M.
The WEBR acquisition keeps alive a cottage industry in low power television sales. Other notable deals of late have included:
* New York: $6.5M WLNY-CD Mineola NY, W27CD Stamford CT & WLIG-LD Morristown NJ from WLNY LP to Local Media TV Holdings LLC [FCC file date 1/5/12]
* Philadelphia: $3.5M W50DZ-D (Trenton NJ from WZBN-TV Inc. to NRJ TV Philly License Company LLC [FCC file date 3/2/12]
* Boston: $2.9M WFXZ-CD from Boston Broadcasting Corporation to Prime Time Partners LLC. [FCC file date 12/14/11]
* New York:$2M WBQM-LD from Renard NY Broadcasting Inc. to Buenavision TV Network LLC. [FCC file date 2/2/12]
* Charleston SC: $1.95M WLCN-CD from Faith Assembly of God of Summerville to Christian Television Network of South Carolina Inc. [FCC file date 11/23/11]
* Tampa-St. Petersburg FL: $500K WSPF-CA St. Petersburg FL from City of St. Petersburg to Prime Time Partners. [FCC file date 1/19/12]
* Lafayette LA: $430K KDCG-CD Opelousas LA from Acadia Cable Advertising Inc. to Delta Media Corporation. [FCC file date 11/29/11]
* Las Vegas NV: $425K KEED-CD from Christian Media Associates International Inc. to Landover Wireless. [FCC file date 3/13/12]
* Philadelphia: $302K WTSD-CA from Loop Media LLC to Local Media TV Philadelphia (Loop Media LLC, Telecom Local Media LLC and others). [FCC file date 1/11/12]