Radio news: Smulyan, flips, contracts
* Jeff Smulyan, Visionary: That’s what Country Radio Broadcasters says as it awards the Emmis leader its 2015 Tom Rivers Humanitarian Award in recognition of his “magnanimous spirit of caring and generosity in service to [his] community.”
* KHJ-AM Los Angeles is being sold to and is already under the operation of Catholic based Immaculate Heart Radio, and it is hitting it out of the park with a trio associated with big league baseball as it gets started. Helping out are legendary broadcaster Vin Scully, and former players Jeff Suppan and Mike Sweeney.
* Cumulus is putting its own NASH Icon on one of its Huntsville AL stations – WWFF-FM was known as Journey 93-3 before the switch.
* KFXR-AM Dallas-Fort Worth is flipping to a Talk format 11/17/14. The iHeart station will fill its lineup with local and Texas talent including Russ Martin, Michael Berry and Matt Patrick.
* Envision Networks has added five stations to its 700+ clients for quick turnaround radio commercials. Five Monroe LA FMs owned by Lagniappe Broadcasting have signed up for SpotVA & ExpressVO service.