Radio Broadcast Engineer
Los Angeles, CA – TITLE: CHIEF ENGINEER
STATUS: REGULAR PART TIME
SITE: KPFK 90.7FM PACIFICA RADIO, Los Angeles
BENEFITS: MEDICAL, DENTAL, LIFE, DISABILITY upon Completion of introductory status
DEFINITION: The Chief Engineer will work under the supervision of the General Manager. This is a part-time exempt position.
The Chief Engineer is responsible for supervising the technical operations of the station. Maintain and repair transmission facilities, equipment, and hardware; studio hardware; and interface with other station’s technical staff for simulcasts and live coverage of events.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Chief engineer for the station that remains on call 24/7 in the event of technical failure.
2. Maintain tower, translator, booster equipment, back-up generator, satellite downlink and facilities.
3. Upgrade station hardware as budget and technology allows.
4. Make recommendations for upgrades/capital improvements.
5. Accept bids, purchase and install equipment-phones, audio, transmission, control booth, and studio equipment.
6. Train board operators and production staff.
7. Maintain hardware inventory for check in/out and insurance coverage.
8. Maintain station transmitter, EAS, and program log.
9. FCC, OSHA, and RF interference compliance.
10. Supervises the Information Technology and Production departments.
11. Communicate and inform the Pacifica National Technical Director of any qualitative problems with or interruption of the broadcast signal chain or any FCC regulatory issues.
12. Other duties as assigned.
Job descriptions are subject to change without notice based on the needs of Agency/Program.
Education: Bachelor’s degree. Electronic/electrical engineering preferred.
Experience: Four years related experience. Familiarity with HD radio implementation a plus.
Skills and Abilities: Requires a valid California driver’s license and reliable personal transportation (mileage reimbursed). Must be able to work with a diverse mix of staff and volunteers and contribute In a teamwork environment.
Physical Abilities: Ability to lift and carry up to 30 lbs. approximately three (3) times per week. Ability to climb up on and work on the studio’s roof. Must be able to navigate stairs multiple times during each work shift.
Mental Abilities: Ability to think clearly and manage multiple changing priorities, and remain pleasant and positive. Requires critical thinking and ability to support people with difficult challenges. Requires good judgment.
THE PACIFICA FOUNDATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Pacifica Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, ethnicity, gender, age, marital status, equal pay, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, and genetic information. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more, see kpfk.org
Filed Under Radio Careers