Nielsen issues RADAR 120 report
The March 2014 RADAR release is the first time Nielsen reports the findings based on the Mon-Sun 12M-12M daypart. Past RADAR press releases used the Mon-Sun 6A-12M daypart. Nielsen says change was made in an effort to present a more complete picture of the total possible audience.
According to the new report, the total U.S. radio audience increased by more than 1.2 million weekly listeners since March 2013, and now reaches 244.4 million Americans on an average weekly basis – 92% of the total U.S. population ages 12+. Daily time spent listening among radio listeners ages 12 and up now averages approximately 2 hours and 41 minutes a day, holding steady from the previous year.
According to the March 2014 RADAR report, the national audience of aged 18 to 34 grew by more than half a million compared to the previous year, reaching 91.9% of all 18-34 year-olds.
Radio’s national reach also increased among African-American and Hispanic audiences, compared to the previous year. Radio now reaches more than 31 million African-American listeners ages 12 and older in an average week, or 91.7% of the total U.S. African-American population.
Hispanic audiences grew by more than half a million (574,000) listeners, meaning radio now reaches 93.6% of all Hispanics in the United States ages 12 and older in an average week.
These increases among Hispanics were spread evenly among those aged 18 to 34 (added 286,000 more listeners), 18 to 49 (298,000 more listeners) and 25 to 54 demographics (243,000 more listeners).
Some other highlights:
• Radio continues to be a compelling draw for consumers, and has expanded its reach; RADAR 120 reveals that radio increased its national reach by more than 1.2 million listeners year over year.
• 244 million Americans (aged 12+) use radio nationally during the Mon-Sun 12M-12M daypart.
• The national 18-34 audience grew by more than half a million listeners year over year.
• Hispanic radio audiences also grew year over year, reaching 93.6% of all Hispanics in the US (12+) during an average week.
• Radio reaches more than 31 million African American listeners each week, 91.7% of the population.