Rochester, NY – WHEC-TV, a Hubbard Broadcasting station and the NBC Affiliate has an exciting opportunity in the news department for an Assignment Editor.
• Organizes daily planners, court appearances, press releases, and news stories.
• Receives and places telephone calls from reporters, news sources, including courts, and the general public. Confirms information as needed. Relays information to appropriate personnel.
• Monitors police scanners. Takes notes on potential stories. Contacts police and sheriff departments to gather updates and additional information. Relays this information to appropriate personnel.
• Assists in researching news and feature stories by using the internet, email and telephone calls. Thinks creatively and delves deeper into the news of the day.
• Enterprising news stories will be a daily responsibility.
• Coordinate daily logistics and dispatches crews and multimedia journalists to breaking news.
• Assists producers, reporters, web producer with story calls, setups and follow ups.
• Works cooperatively and collaboratively with others. Builds working relationships with co-workers, customers, vendors and the general public. Acts in a professional manner when representing the station.
• Attends meetings as required and needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Reports to work on time and works established schedule/hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
•Previous work in a news room environment; sound news judgment.
•Excellent communication skills.
•Ability to work well under pressure and with others and meet tight deadlines. Knows how to handle multiple tasks, prioritize and manage time-sensitive material. Highly organized and detail oriented.
•Must be flexible and able to deal with unexpected changes.
•Follows directions well.
•Proficient with computers.
•Familiar with digital platforms and use of social media tools.
•Ability to answer telephones in a professional manner and take detailed messages.
•Ability to establish and maintain relationships with a variety of people in the community. Knowledge of or ability to learn quickly the Rochester area news and newsmakers.
APPLY TO: http://www.whec.com/openings
No Telephone Calls Please
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER